Thursday, November 18, 2010

What's a girl to do with so much information?

I think I'll consider myself on a brief vacation for the moment - come along won't you? Unfortunately it's no trip to Hawaii, but perhaps I'll find myself with a new perspective once I'm done with my little side trip from reality.

I'm taking a brief pause from working on my first article for the magazine. It's nearly done, but...Too much darn information. Now, one could argue that one can never have enough information, let alone too much, and normally I'd agree, but 1,000 words goes far faster than one might imagine. So I'm staring at these words trying to figure out what I can cut out from the first part of the article in order to include equally important information in the tail end of the article - never mind the conclusion. *sigh* ONE THOUSAND WORDS - you'd think I was trying to squeeze all this information I've compiled into a 400 word piece, but no, I've got a thousand words to work with and I'm out of room. Grr! 
Photo by: Evil Erin via Flickr
I imagine if I had a true editor's brain I would be cutting words and phrases out left and right, but for now, I've got to rely on li'l ol' me. This week as I was doing final interviews and such I could feel myself gathering too much information for my own good, but still, I kept compiling. I was so nervous about doing a good job that I kept pushing for more info, just waiting for the angle I wanted to take to reach out and grab me. Little did I know how all of those charming little tid bits could come together to make an entire cohesive piece...Uh, just not within a 1,000 word window. Gracious. 

So what's a girl to do? I guess it's time to bust out my figurative red pen and get to work. Ahh, thanks for the vent - please stay seated until the seat belt sign has been turned off - I hoped you enjoyed the ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment