Monday, November 15, 2010

Quotes - How do we know?

You'll notice on this blog there are a couple of spots that feature quotes. One quote that is a constant around here by Mark Twain and a revolving door of quotes up top. I am a quote addict; I love them, can't get enough of 'em. In fact, I have deliberated over having a tab devoted entirely to quotes, but it just hasn't happened yet. However, a ponderment* has been rolling through my brain for some time now that I thought would be befitting a post here in writer land.

Question/Ponderment: How do you really know a quote is genuine? Think of all the things that have been quoted over the years. We've got centuries worth of quotes to sift through and yet we all take them as read. We believe that Stan, who compiled a list of inspiring quotes knows what he's talking about and has some valid reason for believing that Mother Theresa made that statement. But really...How do we know?

In writing you have to cite your source - but again, we're taking a lot at face value here. Perhaps this is a more philosophical kind of question than anything, but we take a lot for granted. For example, as parents, we mold and teach our children, right? Just look at the things one could do to mess that up. And yet, they are the epitome of having trust in one's teachings. For all we know, Tuesday actually means lunch and not the third day of the week (coming from Sunday).

Okay, so how much does the source matter? Obviously, we're going to give a little more credence to say, a renowned publication versus a tabloid magazine (but then again those darn rags seem to hit the nail on the head every so often). How do we know?

I have no real answer to give you, just something that wanders through my mind as I giggle over whatever quote happens to be at the top of my blog each time I hit the page - how do we know? I bet some super intelligent person has some kind of answer to that question, but for now, that's what I'll leave you with.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Ponderment in Becca speak simply means to wonder about something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment