Friday, October 1, 2010

October is National Down syndrome Awareness Month

Did you know that October is National Down syndrome Awareness Month? (I'm thinking the title should have provided a clue, but...) Perhaps you remember the Kibbes? A Spokane family whose youngest child has Down syndrome. I did a series of articles on their family back in July.

Mary has a blog of her own, which she started writing in 2008 in order to participate in the "31 for 21" challenge. So with the first day of October nearly over as I write this, she has posted 1 of 31 for 21 today.
I love this and look forward to reading her posts each day. For my part, I told her I'd comment every day on her posts. What can you do to
raise awareness? Take to your Twitter accounts, Facebook, blog, whatever and spread the word. Even today there are many misconceptions about individuals with Down syndrome. In the course of the research I did for their story I found this quote:



“The most important fact to know about individuals with Down syndrome is that they are more like others than they are different.”
--National Association for Down syndrome

I dare you to learn more about Riley and even for a moment question the wisdom of that quote. To me, it says it all.

Haven't had a chance to Meet the Kibbes? Simply mosey down the page just a bit for the links to their articles. Also, check out Mary's blog. Perhaps she'll leave us a comment sharing some of her favorite blogs who are also participating in the 31 for 21 challenge.

Part 1: Meet the Kibbes
Part 2: Learning about Down syndrome
Part 3: Resources for children with Down syndrome
Part 4: Just a boy and his big brother Rex
Part 5: Looking forward
Mary's Blog: Hurricane Riley & his Big Brother Rex

3 comments:

  1. If you click on the 31 for 21 Logo on each post on my blog this month you will be taken to the orginal blog with links to all of us that have signed up to participate.

    One of my new favs is clairejoyleitz.blogspot.com

    Of course you can't go wrong with Ella Grace with the Pretty Face at www.theamazingellagrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete