Thursday, July 22, 2010

How can I procrastinate, let me count the ways...

Avoidance, avoidance, avoidance! You know that 'serious' writing I want to do? Well, certainly one could say I'm not avoiding when you look at the series I'm doing on the Kibbe family for my Examiner page, but as I'm wrapping that up I am very aware of my brain constantly nagging at me to stop tossing things around in my brain and actually put those ideas on paper - okay computer screen, but you get my point. My brain can be quite sassy, by the way.

What am I avoiding you ask? I want to write a book. Am I living in crazy dream land thinking I could write a book? Are my goals too lofty thinking someone would want to publish said book? (You know if I ever actually focused enough to take my thoughts and put them to work). Ah, so meanwhile, I'm working on honing my craft, writing for the Examiner pondering my next move into different publications - no I still haven't submitted those darn children's stories/poems for the children's magazine publication. Don't say it! My brain is already yelling! I'm thinking I'm operating under a fear of rejection at this point. Life is pretty grand in writing for the Examiner, not lucrative mind you, but no one is approving my articles - I'm flying by the seat of my pants here. Certainly there are guidelines we have to follow, but they're not exactly restrictive. One might even say that this blog is yet another avenue for me to explore in procrastinating, but eh, I figure any time I spend writing is beneficial...Woo! Let me go crack open a window it's getting awfully thick in here.

I know it'll come, I've just got to let myself go to it and accept that it's going to take patience (something I seem to be in short supply of) as this book becomes a reality. Maybe no one will ever read it, but I owe it to myself to try. That's the premise of this blog, right? To follow my dream. That patience I need? I need to remind myself that this isn't one of my posts, articles, random writings that I can "whip out in ten minutes," as my sister is fond of saying. It's going to take time - time, re-writes, and, you guessed it, patience. Oh, and I suppose it would behoove me to shelve my procrastinator-type tendencies for a spell. That's a lifetime of training I'm trying to push away, good luck to me. Maybe my oldest nephew can be my motivation, the sheer excitement he has when we talk about this is infectious. So, here it is - I'm putting it out there: Goal 1: I will determine a pace that is legitimate and begin writing the opening tomorrow (how does one know how many pages per day is too little, too much...). I'll get back to you on where to go from here. Deep breath and GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment