Monday, November 1, 2010

It's a rainy Halloween, Abigail Bean

Yesterday was our first "real" Halloween. I count it as real because Abby went on her first round of trick-or-treating last night. She had the words last year, but she was still so painfully shy that the idea of her going up to random houses with completely unfamiliar people...Let's just say none of us envisioned great things transpiring. However, this year I am constantly amazed over how much she's grown socially. There are still certain situations that cause her to revert, but, in truth, I'm okay with this. I appreciate the caution that seems ingrained into her personality.

On the 30th we had a Fall Carnival at church and she had a BLAST there. At first she stayed pretty close to either me or a girl from the church she's grown attached to, but as the day wore on she was gleefully going between the games that she enjoyed the most. "The duckies" were her favorite. As I watched her maneuver the carnival, I knew she was definitely right - she's ready to go trick-or-treating.

I was so proud. She was completely awesome as we went door-to-door. Just like we rehearsed, she'd go up to the door, knock her little knock, and loud and clear offer a "twick-or-tweat!" With her bag held proudly open. Upon receiving her treat, a sweet "Thank you!" was offered. Occasionally, after she'd received reminders on the manners part of things, her "thank you," was especially boisterous.

We brought along her ladybug umbrella, just in case, since the sky had looked a little threatening earlier. Thank goodness for that. She was eager to have her umbrella up and eventually I gave in as it started sprinkling more than spitting. She was thrilled. Then, as we worked our way up the street to join my sister and her family the rain started coming down even harder. It wasn't outright pouring, but it was definitely a steady stream. Yet, she had a blast. She reveled in going from house to house with her cousins. I was amused to see that she seemed to think only one child at the doorstep got to receive candy - and she was content with that. She was happy being in the thick of things, saying her piece. Imagine how happy she was when we assured her she could get a treat too. She melted me. My girl is not a baby anymore. She is magnificent.

I hope you and your family had a marvelous time trick-or-treating.

No comments:

Post a Comment