Thursday, July 29, 2010

Preschool: To send or not to send?

My latest Examiner article is about whether or not to send your child to preschool. This is a conundrum my husband and I find ourselves going back-and-forth on.

On the one hand, she's an only child so the idea of getting her used to being around other children and a teacher in a classroom setting is tempting to us. She's potty trained so she gets to start attending our church's Sunday School Preschool and I'm fascinated to see how she'll do there.

My sister and sister-in-law both took care of preschool for all seven of their collective children at home, nary a one went to preschool. However, I question my abilities in this arena. The times Abby and I have attempted to set out "Designated Preschool Time," have been grand failures. We both lose patience with each other. The last time we tried she got mad that she wasn't actually getting on a bus and going to a school like her cousins - even though I made our goal for the next day 100% clear. Apparently not. By the end of our 30 minute session (if that) she kept putting her head on the table pretending to be asleep. So you can see why I'd be a little concerned about her kindergarten readiness. Not to mention her fondness for pretending she doesn't know things she actually does. i.e. Colors. Don't even get me started.

I think the thing that is my greatest deterrent to actually sending her to preschool is the notion that she has plenty of time to be in school and I have so little time to be with her...Just the two of us. Flip the coin and you've got my biggest fear that she won't be ready for kindergarten if we don't send her. They practically have to be college ready when entering kindergarten these days! I exaggerate, but barely.

I'd love it if you'd check out the article and share your thoughts are on preschool. For the full article, click here.

1 comment:

  1. OK So I haven't read the article yet but I will. I am a huge supporter of preschool!!!! Not because they are learning something that I could't have but lets be honest I would't have. Every mom deserves a break and I'm pretty sure every mom I know will tell you that their kid is better behave for the teacher than they are for you. Neither you nor the child will have long term pyschological damage from being seperated for 2 hours a couple daysa week. Plus kids teach kids. There is way more that we all learn from school than our ABC's. Kids need to learn to make friends, stand in lines and raise their hands. Granted they will learn these things when they are 5 and go to school but why not give them a head start on the social skills too.

    ReplyDelete