Saturday, August 14, 2010

My very own 'agent'

Christine and Abby
If I could do so, I would absolutely hire my sister as my agent. She doesn't have a conversation with people without promoting my Examiner page. Dare I say, she might do more promoting than I do. I cover the technical (Facebook, Twitter) stuff and she takes care of the word-of-mouth sharing.

My sister is five years older than me and sometime while I was in high school she became my best friend. She was my matron-of-honor, she is my daughter's God-mother, and my constant. My family at large is one (growing) ball of support. They've all been incredible as I've started this venture into becoming a "real writer."

So this is just a short post to thank my sister, one of the most amazing ladies I have the privilege of not only calling sister, but friend (and I guess, honorary agent). Following is an excerpt from a piece I did about Christine.



Highlights:
  • Recently, Christine divulged that when I was little, it wasn’t necessarily always me wanting to sneak into her bed because I was scared…Apparently, on stormy or otherwise scary nights, Christine would sometimes come into my room, poke me and say, “Rebecca, Rebecca, are you scared? Do you need to sleep with me?”
  • When I was in 4th grade, our only living grandfather died, I remember us sitting on the edge of the bathtub, I was sobbing, and she was holding me as tight as she could-how did she get to be so strong? Aside from my parents, I would say Bean is my greatest supporter. My senior year when basketball season wasn't going well, she was my rock and she bolstered me more than once (as did my entire family).
  • A month before my due date when the doctor realized things weren't right with my body or with Abby, I wound up at Christine's house because Bryan was at work, and she helped keep me sane that afternoon. She wholeheartedly agreed with me every time I said, "It'll be fine, anything else isn't an option." She, along with my mom, came to my appointment later in the week and spent the better part of the day and night by my (our) side when they sent me to the hospital and I was scared beyond all reason. Christine is a person who I, to this day, strive to follow in her footsteps. I've written about her phenomenal children, well, they didn’t get to be that way with a wish and a prayer, though certainly prayer is part of it, as I swear, this woman has a direct line to God’s ear. No, they’re off to such beautiful beginnings because they have a couple of exceptionally, wonderful parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment