Thursday, July 15, 2010

Getting Started

As a child I wanted to be a clown (mmmkay!), a teacher (I did actually major in this in college before finding a better fit), an artist (discovered I cannot draw), or an author. I love to write, love to write! It was only recently that I decided it was time to stop dreaming and wishing and start looking for opportunities to "write professionally."

My first jump into the land of paid publication was to look into a site that I'd frequently seen advertisements looking for writers. I have now been writing for the Billings edition of the Examiner.com as an Early Childhood/Parenting Examiner for just over a month. To check out my work with the Examiner, click here.  

My aunt writes professionally and has been offering much appreciated guidance as I've been pondering my next move in the vast land that is "publishing." She's a great source of encouragement and wisdom and she made me realize that I cannot rely on this one source, I've got to be putting more pieces out there - "It is only those people who say they want to be a writer and never do anything that fail. If you work diligently at it - it is a job - you will succeed." -Pat Hansen

I have started working on some children's pieces for a publication my aunt informed me of as well as sending off a letter of interest to a local magazine. Admittedly, the idea of my work being published in an honest-to-goodness magazine is rather mind-boggling, but 20 years after making that initial declaration of wanting "to be an author," I'm pushing aside the little voices of self-doubt and the time has come for me to admit this is something I want and it's time to go after it!

Join me, won't you, as I work to follow my dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment